Assumption Extension and Social Outreach Programme (AESOP)
Assumption College has been in the forefront of women’s education since its inception in 1950. In line with its Vision and Mission, the College has always redefined its strategies to make students socially committed and learning beyond the confines of classrooms.After becoming an autonomous institution in 2016, the College made Extension and Social Outreach Programme a compulsory component for the successful completion of the undergraduate and post graduate programmes.Assumption Extension and Social Outreach Programme(AESOP) is a compulsory 18 hours social involvement programme for instilling social commitment in the minds of students and to equip them to understand and respond to the socio economic realities of our nation.
In contrast to 2017-18, this academic year (2018-19) five villages in Changanacherry were adopted by the College for its extension and social outreach programme. It is intended to provide the students a better understanding and feel of the socio-economic realities of their local community and also to get them involved in the development of these villages.
The core objective of the programme is to sensitise and educate the students about the problems and practices of the local community and to inculcate in them the spirit of responsible citizenship.
The programme starts in the second year of the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. Each department is given the responsibility to serve a particular Village adopted by the College.The activities in each Village include educational modules,recreational activities,interactive and participatory programmes, exhibitions and demonstrations.The thrust areas are Health and Fitness, Waste Management, Energy Conservation,Organic Farming and Financial Literacy.
Areas chosen by the various Departments for knowledge exchange
- Hand crafted Recycled Product Development – Fashion Technology
- Chemistry in our daily life – Chemistry
- Business skill Development – Business Studies
- Energy Conservation – Physics
- E- waste Management – Computer Science
- Amma Vayana – Malayalam
- Human Welfare and Public Health – Zoology
- Financial Literacy – Commerce
- Civic Responsibility & Community Service – History
- Communication Skills – English
- Organic Farming – Botany
- Family Budget and its Preparation – Economics
- Nutrition and Meal Planning – Home Science
- BEAM – Mathematics
- Photoshop and Cyber Crime – Computer Application
- Sr. Cherukusumam CMC (Principal)
- Dr. Thomas Parathara (Bursar and Vice Principal)
- Anitha Jose (Vice Principal)
- Rani Maria Thomas (IQAC Coordinator)
- Sr. Shalini CMC (AESOP Coordinator)