College History

founde3[1]

Soon after independence, the Christian community of Changanacherry, realizing the need for an educational institution for women in Central Travencore, conveyed their wish to their leaders. Rt.Rev.Dr.James Kalacherry the then Bishop of Changanacherry, welcomed the idea whole-heartedly and His Excellency laid the foundation stone for a Women’s College on 12th August 1949. Initially, the college functioned as an annexe of S.B. College. In 1950, when the Catholic Church solemnly proclaimed the bodily assumption of the Blessed Virgin as a dogma of faith, the name ‘Assumption’ was found to be appropriate for this new women’s college, In 1955, Rev. Sr. Xavier S.A.B.S took over as the first woman Principal of the college and with her the college started functioning as an independent institution. Most of Assumption’s academic excellence and disciplinary tradition can be traced back to her period of efficient administration. The Principals who succeeded her shared her vision and steadfastly adhered to Assumption’s ideal of excellence. 

It is a matter of great pride for us that the college that started functioning almost as an annexe to St. Berchman’s College in the academic year 1950-51, with a strength of 358 women students has now grown into a full-fledged first grade college with more than 2000 students in the 19 degree courses, 8 Post graduate courses and other courses in the diverse streams.