Business Incubation Centre
ASSUMPTION BUSINESS INCUBATION CENTRE (ABIC)
Assumption Business Incubation Centre was started in 2014 to create and nurture entrepreneurial talents in faculty and students of Assumption College. It provides an ecosystem for knowledge based and skill based start-ups. The business units started were registered under the charitable society AWAKE till 2015-16. After the College became autonomous, the Incubation Centre came directly under the Entrepreneurship Development Club of Assumption College. The CEO of the Incubation Centre is the Coordinator of the Entrepreneurship Development Club. Incubation is generally provided for a period of maximum three years. On completion of three years, the incubatees have to exit the incubator. Incubation Centre functions in the Assumption Community Collge.
Board of Directors
Rev. Sr. Cherukusumam CMC (Principal)
Rev. Dr. Thomas Joseph Parathara (Vice Principal and Director of Community College)
Dr.Anitha Jose (Vice Principal)
Dr. Rani Maria Thomas (IQAC Coordinator)
Ms. Manjulin Jacob (Staff Association President)
Ms. Roshini Sebastian (CEO)
Ms. Neelima R Thomas
Ms. Vineetha Antony
Ms. Roselet P Cherian
Assumption College is an Arts and Science College with less scope for business start-ups. In spite of this limitation, the College, through the incubation programme, tries to promote entrepreneurial acumen in students. The students who start the business units will be under the guidance of the incubator team and mentoring by a faculty member/ Department. The specific objectives are
- Skill development
- Entrepreneurship promotion
- Imparting business knowledge
- Promotion of marketing management skills
- Enhancing self confidence
- Encourage students to take up entrepreneurship as a viable career option
Faculty members and students who are interested in starting a business unit have to apply though the Head of the Department and the same has to be forwarded by the Principal to the CEO of the Incubation Centre. The CEO after scrutinising the application and the business proposal will submit the same to the Board of Directors for final approval. Once the business proposal is approved by the Board, the unit has to be registered under the Assumption Incubation Centre.
The Facilities and Support
The Incubatees get the following facilities and support from the Incubator.
- Training in entrepreneurial skills
- Training in marketing
- Training in writing business plan
- Physical infrastructure
- Seed Money
Student Entrepreneurship Groups at Assumption Incubation Centre
- Team Rapid: Six students from Bachelor Degree Business Administration formed this group. They are in the service sector, cleaning- called Facility Management. Their corre business is the cleaning and beautification of Assumption College. They also undertake event management of different departments of Assumption College
- Team Hybrids: Five students from the Department of Botany started thia unit. They were into culltivation of Green leaves and other vegetables, like tomatos, lady finger, palak, beans etc. photos attached.
- Waves: Six students from second year Economics Bachelor Degree started the buisiness unit which is into Costume Leasing. They designed dance constumes and also subcontract with the company Chamayamin Cochin to lease the constumes students are in trading.
- Live Tourism: Three students from History department started a business unit that is into hospitality. They orgainise study tours and entertainment tours.
- Orumuri Thattukada: Three students from English and history Bachelor degree formed this catering business during lunch time for the college students and staff.
- Pencil: Three students and one faculty from Social work department did form this training group. They provide personality development trainings to college students and school children.
- Garment Manufacturing: Five first year Bachelor degree students from different departments (Hostel mates) formed a tailoring group.
- Organic Vegetables: Students of zoology started this business unit to provide chemical free fresh vegetables to students and staff of Assumption College.
Incubatees at Present ( 2018-19 ……)
- Paper Bag Unit: six students of the Department of Economics started the paper bag making unit as a green initiative.
- Seasons: This unit does the business of designing and printing greeting cards for all occasions.