- PHYSICAL, HEALTH AND LIFE SKILLS EDUCATION (Open Course)
No. of Credits: 4
No. of Contact hours: 72
Aim of the Course
The course is intended to familiarize the students towards the concept of health and physical education and the relative contribution of physical education and sports for the skill development.
Objective of the Course
- To provide students a general concept of physical education and fitness.
- To provide knowledge and understanding regarding health and nutrition.
- To familiarize the students regarding safety education and health promotive measures for day to day life.
- To promote an understanding of the value of sports for life skill development.
Module 1: Physical Education and Physical Fitness
- Concept of Physical Education
- Meaning, Definition, Aims and objectives of Physical Education.
- Need and importance of Physical Education.
- Physical Education and its Relevance in Inter Disciplinary contex.
- Physical Fitness Components.
- Types of Fitness-Health related Physical Fitness. Performance related Physical Fitness.
- Activities for developing Physical Fitness Components.
Module 2: Health Concept of Physical Education
- Definition and Meaning of Health.
- Dimensions and Determinants of Health.
- Physical activity and Health Benefits.
- Effect of exercise on Body systems. Circulatory, Respiratory, Endocrine, Sketetal and Muscular.
- Role of Physical Education programme on Community Health promotion (Individual, Family & Society)
Module 3: Nutrition and Health
- Concept of Food and Nutrition.
- Balanced Diet.
- Vitamins- Malnutrition, Deficiency Diseases.
- Determining Calorie intake and expenditure.
- Obesity, causes and preventing measures- role of diet and exercise.
Module 4: Safety Education and Health Promotion
- Principles of Accident prevention.
- Health and safety in daily life.
- Health and Safety at work.
- First aid and emergency care.
- Common injuries and their management.
- Modern life style and Hypo-kinetic disease- prevention and management.
Module 5: Sports and Life Skills Education
- Sports and Socialisation.
- Physical activity and sports- emotional adjustment and well being.
- Substance abuse among youth- preventive measures and remediation.
- Yoga Meditation and Relaxation.
- Sports and character builing.
- Values in sports.
- Sports for World Peace and International Understanding.
- CERTIFICATE PROGRAM- WELLNESS THROUGH YOGA PRACTICES
- To provide practical knowledge of suryanamaskar
- To acquire the practical knowledge of asanas pranayama, meditation and other yogic practices
INTRODUCTION TO YOGA
- General guidelines for yoga practices.
- Warming – up exercises.
- International Yoga day.Common yoga protocol.
Unit II -Asanas
- Common guildelins for asana
Unit III Pranayama Techniques
- Common gulidelines for Pranayamma
- Anulom Vilom
Unit – IV Meditation and Relaxation Methods
- Common gulidelines for Meditation
- Meditative asanas, Padmasana, Sukhasana &Vajrasana
- Mind fullness meditation
- Trascendental Meditation
- Progressive muscular relaxation
Unit V – Bandhas, Kriyas and Mudras
- Bandhas – UddiyanaBandhia, JalandharaBandha, MulaBandha and MahaBandha.
- Kriyas – Kaphalabhati, Trataka, JalaNeti, Sutra Neti, VamanaDhauthi.
- Mudras – Chin Mudra, Chinmaya Mudra and Adi Mudra.
- Learning the general guidelines of yoga practices and about international yoga day
- Understanding the technique of suryanamaskar
- Attaining knowledge of the relaxative cultural and meditative asanas
- Gaining knowledge of pranayama techniques
- Getting fair idea about mediatation in detail
- Studies the fundamental concepts of bandhas
- Understood the concept of kriyas practically
- Acquiring fair idea about the mudras.