Entrepreneurship Development Club
The Entrepreneurship Development Club of Assumption College functions under the leadership of the Economics Department. Since its inception in 2005, the club has been organising a number of programmes to create entrepreneurial awareness and skills among the students of Assumption College. Later its activities culminated into the formation of a Business Incubation Centre under ‘AWAKE Society’of Assumption Community College in 2013. The Club has been providing training and expert guidance to aspiring women entrepreneurs in collaboration with CII, FIWE etc.
ED Club Activities 2019-20
Around One hundred and twenty students from the Arts and Science programmes joined the ED Club in 2019-20. An exhibition cum sale of various decorative and handicrafts items was conducted at the X-MAS period. This included X-mas wreaths, hand-made bouquets, paper bags, wall hangings & other jewellery items. A food stall was also conducted under this ED .
An amount of Rs.10,000/- was gained through the business.
ED Club Activities 2018-19
- Under the initiative of the ED Club two new Business Units were formed this year. One unit is into paper bag making and the product of the other group is greeting cards.
- Seminar on Women Entrepreneurship: Opportunities and Challenges’ by Mrs.Anu Ipe, Chartered Accountant, Kottayam
ED Club Activities 2017-18
An interactive session “My Story as an Entrepreneur” was organised for the students of the Entrepreneurship Development Club organised by the ED Club on I9-02-2018. Ms. Anjaly Chandran, founder, Impresa was the resource person. 150 students participated in the session.
ED Club Activities 2016-17
The ED Club has organised a two day workshop for the aspiring entrepreneurs in Assumption in collaboration with KITCO (Kerala State Industrial and Technical Consultancy Organisation) on 20-21, January 2017. To know the details of the workshop , click on the link given below.
An industrial visit was organised on 21st January 2017. Ninety five students participated in the industrial visit. Students visited the Industrial Estate in Veroor, Chanagancehrry and spent time in two firms to understand their production process and also the innovative techniques used by them to reap technical efficiency. Certificates were distributed to all the participants.
ED Club Activities 2015-16
The Entrepreneurship Development Club of Assumption College functions under the leadership of the Economics Department. Since its inception in 2005, the club has been organising a number of programmes to create entrepreneurial awareness and skills among the students of Assumption College. Later it culminated into the formation of Awake Society in 2013. This year the activities of ED Club were inaugurated on 23rd July 2015 with ‘CEO Talk’ organised by the ED Club and Assumption Business Incubation Centre in collaboration with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). Mrs Priya Fazil, founder and Managing Director of Dream flower Housing Projects, Kochi, Mrs ReenaVivekanandan, Chairwoman of the chapter of Indian Women Network in Kerala and CEO cum Managing Director of Sinura Health Information Process Solution (SHIPS) and Mr Dipu Thomas Joy, CII Kerala spoke about their journey as entrepreneurs on different sessions.The Entrepreneurship Development Club has been providing expertise for student women entrepreneurs in collaboration with CII, FIWE etc.
An exhibition cum sale of jute bags was organised by Team Waves, the entrepreneurial unit run by the students of Economics Department on 14th July 2015. The aim of the fair was to promote entrepreneurial skills among the students and to raise awareness about eco-friendly products.
Ms Angel Rose Joseph, Ms Lekshmi Prasad and Ms Linsa Philip attended “Conference on Ease of doing Business” organised by The Directorate of Industries and Commerce in association with Centre for Public Policy Research, Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation (KSIDC) and CII Kerala on January 23, 2016 Le Meridien, Kochi.
ED Club Activities 2014-15
The major focus of the Club has been to strengthen the industry – academia network and collaboration. Towards achieving this end, the Club organized the women entrepreneurs Meet and conducted an enrichment module on Entrepreneurship Development. The department actively involved in the organization of the International conference on Entrepreneurship and Women from January 21-24, 2014. Ms Rani Maria Thomas and Ms RoshiniSebatian attended the Two Day International Train the Trainer Programme.
ASSUMPTION BUSINESS INCUBATION CENTRE
Assumption Business Incubation Centre started functiong in the College in 2014. The objective of this Centre is to instil and nurture entrepreneurial talents among students on the campus and also among local women. This is the first incubation centre in an Arts and Science College in Kerala. The details of the student enterprises in the Incubation centre are given below.
Student Entrepreneurship Groups at Assumption Incubation centre
- Team Rapid: Six students from Bachelor Degree Business Administration students formed this group. They are in the service sector cleaning- called facility management. Their core business is the cleaning and beatification of Assumption College. They also undertake event management of different departments of assumption college
- Team Hybrids: Five students from Botany Bachelor Degree Students are in Agriculture. They are now concentrating on Green leaves cultivation and other vegetables, like tomatos, lady finger, palak, beans etc. photos attached.
- Waves: Six students from second year Economics Bachelor degree students are in trading. They do lease Dance kostueme. They are having subcontract with the company Chamayam in cochin. They do get commission.
- Live Tourism: three students from History department do hospitality. They are in the begnning and like to conduct inbound and outbound group study tours.
- Orumuri Thattukada: Three students from English and history Bachelor degree did form this catering business during lunch time for the college students and staff.
- Pencil: Three students and one faculty from Social work department did form this training group. They provide personality development trainings to college students and school children.
- Garment Manufacturing: Five first year Bachelor degree students from different departments (Hostel mates) are forming a tailoring groups. They are now learning tailoring skills at Assumption community college.
All the groups have started their entrepreneurial activities along with their studies at Assumption College. Kerala Government, all universities and Indian Government are promoting student entrepreneurship in order to create employment in the country.
ED Club Activities 2013-14
The Entrepreneurship Development club of the College has been very vibrant this year. The main thrust of the club this year is to strengthen the industry- academician cooperation.
Exhibition cum sale of Eco-friendly bags
An exhibition cum sale of eco-friendly bags was organised on June 20, 2013 in the college seminar hall by the members of the entrepreneurship development club. The exhibition was organised with two objectives – to spread the message of eco-friendly practices and also to instil marketing talents among the students.
The Women Entrepreneurs’ Meet
The club organised the Women Entrepreneurs’ Meet on November 5th 2013. The meeting was intended to promote the entrepreneurial spirit among the students of Assumption College. Eight members of the Kerala Chamber of Commerce and Industry participated in the meet and enriched the students with their experience sharing and motivational talks. There was a panel discussion on the topic ‘The entrepreneurial climate in Kerala’. The panel discussion addressed the question whether the entrepreneurial climate in Kerala is conducive for the promotion of Women Entrepreneurship. Students discussed their innovative business ideas with the women entrepreneurs.
Enrichment Module on Entrepreneurship Development
A short course of one month duration on Entrepreneurship Development was offered to 1st year and 11nd year degree students. The module was structured in such a way as to provide both theoretical inputs on entrepreneurship and practical skill training. Students are given skill training in umbrella making, Jewellery making and flower making. Sixty two students benefitted from this course.
International Conference on Entrepreneurship and Women organised by Assumption College and KCCI, Cochin (21-24 January, 2014)
The members of the entrepreneurship development club participated in the international conference and the students interacted with the delegates from various countries.