Debate and Oratory Club
Debate and Oratory Club
Annual Report 2018-19
The Oratory and Debate Club of Assumption College provides a common platform for eloquent and talented students and provides them an opportunity to showcase their abilities which in turn leads to enhancing self confidence and character building. In this academic year, the club conducted weekly classes for developing the public speaking skills of the students. The club organized various competitions and debates focusing on the improvement of communicative ability.
The way a speech is given has greater impact than the words spoken. So, every class began with a warm up exercise of asking each student to read with a voice inflexion on the capitalized word from a given passage. Through communicating, brainstorming body language and its corresponding meanings and expressing emotions through eyes and voice, they experienced how body language, posture and voice tones conveys the message much more than words themselves.
The members of the Oratory Club listened to various world famous declamations and speeches, which helped them to gain confidence. The student members recognized about the probability, timeframe, and magnitude of their performances through various public speaking games and debate exercises conducted on every week. Through continuous practice, members learned how to control their nervousness and make that energy to improve their speeches.
The zonal round of All Kerala Maria Philip Memorial Debate Competition was hosted by our college and our team consisting of Sheena Mariam Mathew of II B.Com and Vinsa Sajan of II Physics emerged as the second runners up, held on September 2018. Anna Vinaya Xavier of II BACE won Special Jury award in Personality Competition and she also grabbed various prizes in debate competitions. Briya Anna Thomas of II BACE won first prize in Debate Competition conducted by CMS College, Kottayam. Anagha A J of II Physics won second prize in O’Economy Debate Competition.
Annual Report 2016-17
The zonal round of All Kerala Maria Philip Memorial Debate Competition was hosted by our college and our team consisting of Maria Brony of III BACE and Maria Thomas of II BA English Literature emerged as the second runners up, held on 06 Sept 2016. Maria Brony secured the Best Debator of the year instituted by Maria Philip Educational Trust, Bangalore.
The members of oratory club participated in many elocution and debate competitions. Maria Brony of III BACE won the I prize in the All Kerala Intercollegiate Assumption Golden Jubilee Memorial English Elocution Contest organised by the Staff Association of Assumption College on 07 Feb 2017. She was awarded the Best Debator title of Assumption College.
Maria Brony of III BACE secured I prize in English elocution and III prize in English Recitation in MG university youth festival ‘Noopura 2017’.
On 20 Feb 2017, on behalf of the theatre club of our college, a promo of Malayalam movie ‘Veeram’ directed by Jayaraj was conducted in our college. The movie is an adaptation of the famous Shakespearean play ‘Macbeth’. The director and the actor addressed the students and thus the event served as a platform to better appreciate the medium of cinema and the intricacies of movie making.
MARIA BRONY –BA COMMUNICATIVE ENGLISH (2014-17)
- Won first prize in the All Kerala Inter-collegiate English Extempore competition conducted by YMCA, Thiruvalla.
- Won third prize in the Inter-collegiate English Elocution competition as part of the CSM Fest’15 held at SB College, Changanacherry.
- Won first prize in the Zonal level All Kerala Maria Philip Memorial Debate Competition conducted by XIME, Kochi on 09 Sept 2015 and also participated in the finals on 30 Sept 2015.
- Won first place in the English Elocution competition held in connection with the Vigilance Awareness Week 2015 by Kottayam Rubber Board on 30 Oct 2015.
- Won first prize in the Block level Speak for Kerala Inter-collegiate Debate competition conducted by Mathrubhumi and Federal Bank on 11 Dec 2015 at St Thomas College, Pala and participated in the District level competitions held on 11 jan 2016 at BCM College, Kottayam.
- Won first prize in the All Kerala Inter-collegiate English Elocution contest organized by the Staff Association of Assumption College for the Assumption Golden Jubilee Memorial Ever Rolling Trophy on 29 Jan 2016.
- Won first prize in the Inter-departmental Malayalam Elocution competition conducted by the Chemistry Association of Assumption College.
- Won second prize in the Inter-collegiate Prof Sebastian Joseph Memorial Debate competition held at St Aloysius College, Edathua on 17 Feb 2016.
- Won second prize with A grade in the English Recitation competition and fourth place A grade in the English Extempore competition conducted as part of the MG University Youth Festival Saparya 2016.
- Secured the Prof D Varghese Panamparambil Memorial Endowment scholarship for the Best Speaker in English for the year 2015-16 at Assumption College, Changanacherry.
- Secured the Talenton title for the Best Debator of the Year 2015-16 at Assumption College, Changanacherry.
- Won first prize in the English Extempore competition and second prize in the Malayalam Extempore competition conducted by the Titus II Teachers’ Training College, Thiruvalla on 15 March 2016.
- Won third prize in the English Recitation competition held as part of Ragam ’16 conducted by the National Institute of Technology, Calicut on 01 April 2016.