Debate and Oratory Club
Annual Report 2019-20
The debate club offers students a platform to share their ideas through public speaking and thus refine communication, presentation, oratory and debating skills. The Debate club of the College has functioned keeping in mind the vision of providing opportunities to the students to discuss relevant topic and ideas and to engage in activities benefitting their personal and professional development.
Club meeting& Election of office bearers
The activities of the Debate and Oratory Club of the College for the academic year 2019-20 began with the induction of new members to the club. First club gathering was held on 2nd September, 2019 at 3.00 pm in the Seminar Hall. Greeshma D Vinod (I BA Literature) was elected as the Secretary of the club. A briefing about the activities of the Club was made to the students. Ms. Ann Mary Mathew (Dept. of Physics), Ms. Nidhiya Cicily Joseph (Dept. of English) and Ms. Suzana Alex (Dept. of English) coordinated the activities of the club in this academic year.
Intra-Collegiate Malayalam & English elocution competition
The club conducted Intra Collegiate English& Malayalam elocution competitions on 2nd September, 2019. The results of the competition were as follows
1st prize- Ms. Vinsa Saban (III DC Physics)
2nd prize- Ms. Mary Catherene (I BACE)
1st prize- Divya Ance Varghese (III DC Mathematics)
2nd prize- Vishnupriya K U (I BA English)
Maria Philip Debate competition (Zonal level)
Debate club collaborated with HR department in facilitating the conduction of Maria Philip Memorial debate competition (Zonal level) at Assumption College on 25th September, 2019. The event was organized by XIME Kochi. 8 teams from various colleges participated in the event.
The debate club organized a mass debate for debate club members and students of the College. The program was conducted on 30th September 2019 on the topic ‘Uniforms must be made necessary in Colleges’ at Seminar Hall.
Karyanjali- Remembering Gandhi
Debate club members Greeshma D Vinod (I BA English) & Aliza Maria Mathew (I DC English) presented a session on ‘Mahatma Gandhi’ in the ‘Karyanjali’ program conducted by Dept. of Physics as part of 150th Birth anniversary celebration of Mahatma Gandhi.
Debate club started a new initiative ‘News Corner’. Everyday news and important articles were updated on the allotted notice board of the club.
Intra-Collegiate Debate competition
Debate club organized an intra-collegiate debate competition on the topic: ‘Rape punishment, in the hands of the law or in the hands of law?’ Students from various departments participated in the event. The results of the competition were as follows:
1st prize- Greeshm D Vinod (I BA English)
2nd prize- Jane Mariya Roy (I DC Physics) & Riya Cherian (I BA History)
- Vinsa Saban (III DC Physics) & Bernadine K S (II BFT) won first prize in Zonal level Maria Philip debate competition organized by XIME, Kochi held at Assumption College, Changanacherry on 18th September 2019.
- Vinsa Saban (III DC Physics) & Bernadine K S (II BFT) won second prize in All Kerala Maria Philip memorial debate competition held at XIME, Kochi on 27th September 2019.
- In the Block level ‘Speak for India Competition’ conducted jointly by Federal Bank of India and Mathrubhumi on 3rd October 2019, following students were winners:
- Aliza Meria Mathew (I BA English)
- Diya Blessa (II DC Chemistry)
- Anakha Krishnan B
- Anju Gigi (III DC Physics) was selected as the Best Parliamentarian in the INPA- Model Parliament competition of Kottayam District (2018-19) conducted by Institute of Parliamentary Affairs on 24th October 2019.
- Divya Ance Varghese (III DC Mathematics) won first prize in Rev. Sr. Mary Xavier memorial All Kerala Malayalam Inter-collegiate competition conducted at Assumption College, Changanacherry on 12th December 2019.
- Anju Gigi (III DC Physics) was selected as the Best Parliamentarian in the INPA Model Parliament (Kerala State level) conducted by Institute of Parliamentary Affairs, Govt. of Kerala in December 2019.
Participation in Inter-Collegiate competitions
- Following students participated in the Block level ‘Speak for India Competition’ conducted jointly by Federal Bank of India and Mathrubhumi on 3rd October 2019 at Saintgits College of Engineering, Pathamuttam.
- Pooja Therese Sebastian
- Jane Maria Roy (I DC Physics)
- Sminu K John
- Juwel Treesa Shaji
- Greeshma D Vinod (I BA English)
- Following students participated in the Block level ‘Speak for India Competition’ conducted jointly by Federal Bank of India and Mathrubhumi on 4th October 2019 at CMS College, Kottayam.
- Malavika R
- Yara Nisam (I BACE)
- Mary Catherene
- Aleena Minny Varghese
- Sheena Mariam Mathew (III B Com) participated in the Block level ‘Speak for India Competition’ conducted jointly by Federal Bank of India and Mathrubhumi on 10th October 2019 at Amal Jyothi College of Engineering, Kanjirappally.
- Sheena Mariam Mathew (III B Com)& Anjitha Eldho (III BACE) participated in the debate competition conducted as part of SENSE’19 fest organized by Bishop Abraham Memorial College Thuruthicaud on 2nd October 2019.
- Mary Catherene (I BACE) participated in the All Kerala Inter- Collegiate English Elocution competition held at Assumption College, Changanacherry on 12th December 2019.
- Jain Maria Roy (I DC Physics) & Ann Mary Abraham (I DC Physics) participated in the debate competition conducted as part of ATMOS 2020 fest organized by Dept.of Chemistry, St.Thomas College, Pala on 24th January 2020.
- Dona George (III DC Botany) participated in the Miss’elan 2020, Dr. P.T. Mary Endowment Miss Personality contest organized by St. Thomas College of Teacher Education on 23rd January 2020.
- Greeshma D Vinod (I BA English)& K Sudarsana participated in the P.T.Chacko memorial All Kerala Debate competition organized by S B College, Changanacherry.
Annual Report 2018-19
The Oratory and Debate Club of Assumption College provides a common platform for eloquent and talented students and provides them an opportunity to showcase their abilities which in turn leads to enhancing self confidence and character building. In this academic year, the club conducted weekly classes for developing the public speaking skills of the students. The club organized various competitions and debates focusing on the improvement of communicative ability.
The way a speech is given has greater impact than the words spoken. So, every class began with a warm up exercise of asking each student to read with a voice inflexion on the capitalized word from a given passage. Through communicating, brainstorming body language and its corresponding meanings and expressing emotions through eyes and voice, they experienced how body language, posture and voice tones conveys the message much more than words themselves.
The members of the Oratory Club listened to various world famous declamations and speeches, which helped them to gain confidence. The student members recognized about the probability, timeframe, and magnitude of their performances through various public speaking games and debate exercises conducted on every week. Through continuous practice, members learned how to control their nervousness and make that energy to improve their speeches.
The zonal round of All Kerala Maria Philip Memorial Debate Competition was hosted by our college and our team consisting of Sheena Mariam Mathew of II B.Com and Vinsa Sajan of II Physics emerged as the second runners up, held on September 2018. Anna Vinaya Xavier of II BACE won Special Jury award in Personality Competition and she also grabbed various prizes in debate competitions. Briya Anna Thomas of II BACE won first prize in Debate Competition conducted by CMS College, Kottayam. Anagha A J of II Physics won second prize in O’Economy Debate Competition.
Annual Report 2016-17
The zonal round of All Kerala Maria Philip Memorial Debate Competition was hosted by our college and our team consisting of Maria Brony of III BACE and Maria Thomas of II BA English Literature emerged as the second runners up, held on 06 Sept 2016. Maria Brony secured the Best Debator of the year instituted by Maria Philip Educational Trust, Bangalore.
The members of oratory club participated in many elocution and debate competitions. Maria Brony of III BACE won the I prize in the All Kerala Intercollegiate Assumption Golden Jubilee Memorial English Elocution Contest organised by the Staff Association of Assumption College on 07 Feb 2017. She was awarded the Best Debator title of Assumption College.
Maria Brony of III BACE secured I prize in English elocution and III prize in English Recitation in MG university youth festival ‘Noopura 2017’.
On 20 Feb 2017, on behalf of the theatre club of our college, a promo of Malayalam movie ‘Veeram’ directed by Jayaraj was conducted in our college. The movie is an adaptation of the famous Shakespearean play ‘Macbeth’. The director and the actor addressed the students and thus the event served as a platform to better appreciate the medium of cinema and the intricacies of movie making.
MARIA BRONY –BA COMMUNICATIVE ENGLISH (2014-17)
- Won first prize in the All Kerala Inter-collegiate English Extempore competition conducted by YMCA, Thiruvalla.
- Won third prize in the Inter-collegiate English Elocution competition as part of the CSM Fest’15 held at SB College, Changanacherry.
- Won first prize in the Zonal level All Kerala Maria Philip Memorial Debate Competition conducted by XIME, Kochi on 09 Sept 2015 and also participated in the finals on 30 Sept 2015.
- Won first place in the English Elocution competition held in connection with the Vigilance Awareness Week 2015 by Kottayam Rubber Board on 30 Oct 2015.
- Won first prize in the Block level Speak for Kerala Inter-collegiate Debate competition conducted by Mathrubhumi and Federal Bank on 11 Dec 2015 at St Thomas College, Pala and participated in the District level competitions held on 11 jan 2016 at BCM College, Kottayam.
- Won first prize in the All Kerala Inter-collegiate English Elocution contest organized by the Staff Association of Assumption College for the Assumption Golden Jubilee Memorial Ever Rolling Trophy on 29 Jan 2016.
- Won first prize in the Inter-departmental Malayalam Elocution competition conducted by the Chemistry Association of Assumption College.
- Won second prize in the Inter-collegiate Prof Sebastian Joseph Memorial Debate competition held at St Aloysius College, Edathua on 17 Feb 2016.
- Won second prize with A grade in the English Recitation competition and fourth place A grade in the English Extempore competition conducted as part of the MG University Youth Festival Saparya 2016.
- Secured the Prof D Varghese Panamparambil Memorial Endowment scholarship for the Best Speaker in English for the year 2015-16 at Assumption College, Changanacherry.
- Secured the Talenton title for the Best Debator of the Year 2015-16 at Assumption College, Changanacherry.
- Won first prize in the English Extempore competition and second prize in the Malayalam Extempore competition conducted by the Titus II Teachers’ Training College, Thiruvalla on 15 March 2016.
- Won third prize in the English Recitation competition held as part of Ragam ’16 conducted by the National Institute of Technology, Calicut on 01 April 2016.