The Department of Zoology had its inception with the B.Sc. Degree Programme in Zoology with Botany and Chemistry as subsidiary subjects in affiliation to the University of Kerala in 1958. The course was started with a sanctioned strength of 40 students and Prof Annamma George as the Head of the Department. The Subsidiary subject – Zoology for BSc Botany and BSc Family and Community Science (Home Science) are also handled by the Department of Zoology. In 1998, a Vocational Degree Course was introduced with Zoology as the Core subject and Food Microbiology and Biochemistry as Vocational and Complementary Subjects respectively. In the academic year 2007 – 2008, the department celebrated its Golden Jubilee. The Choice Based Credit and Semester System (CBCSS) were introduced in 2009 and in 2016, the College was shifted to Autonomous Status and it was reframed as CBCS. Now, the department offers two Undergraduate Courses, one Complementary Course, one Open Course and one Elective Course. The department has had a rich tradition of inculcating good values in students, apart from imparting knowledge to them.
Strengths and Achievements
The department has a vibrant group of teachers, who ensure, the department achieves the highest possible standards of excellence in all its activities. Two minor projects, funded by UGC have been successfully completed by Dr. Reethamma O.V( Associate Professor) and Ms. Smitha Mathews (Assistant Professor).Five student projects funded by KSCSTE during the last four Years. An MOU with Gandhi Smaraka Grama Seva Kendram, Alappuzha and Tropical Institute of Ecological Sciences (TIES), Kottayamsince 2018 to inspire students to reach the frontiers of Biological Sciences. The department has always been keen on non-scholastic development of students. The department has an active Zoology Association (OIKOS) and a nature club. Department of Zoology has been publishing a manuscript magazine OIKOS since 1998 to nurture the skills of our students. The zoology department has bagged the “Best Zoology Association Award” and the “Best Manuscript Magazine Award” instituted by The Zoological Society of Kerala, many a times. The well set ‘Zoology Museum’ has a good collection of bottled and stuffed specimens.
Methodology of teaching learning
- Classroom lectures using Audio-Visual aids (PPTs, you tube videos, slide sharing)
- Laboratory demonstrations
- Seminars & Assignments
- Library work
- Group activities
- Field Trips
- Visit to Scientific Institutions
- Study Tours
- Nature Camps
- Individual investigatory projects
- Regular questioning and test papers
- Quiz & debate on relevant topics
- Chart preparation
The department has a well set
- Zoology Museum
- Zoology Lab-I
- Zoology Lab-II
- Project Lab
- Microbiology Lab
- Computer Lab
What makes us Unique?
- Zoology museum with many non chordate and chordate bottled and stuffed specimens.
- Manuscript magazine – ‘OIKOS’ is being released annually since 1998.
- Ample opportunities open to students to equip them for self employment.
- Hard working and committed faculty who strive hard for the overall development of students.
- Department offers certificate course on ‘IT ENABLED COMMUNICATION SKILLS IN ENGLISH and enrichment course on ’ BEAUTY CARE
- Ensure maximum participation of students in intracollegiate and intercollegiate academic and non-academic programmes.
- Annual and regular conduct of Inter-collegiate paper presentation competition VOYAGE .
- The zoology department has bagged the “Best Zoology Association Award” and the “Best Manuscript Magazine Award” instituted by The Zoological Society of Kerala.
- Charity collections on every Friday – a confederation of humanity, help and care to extend a helping hand to the needy initiated by students.
- The department has a Memorandum Of Understing (MOU) with Gandhi Smaraka Grama Seva Kendram, Alappuzha and Tropical Institute of Ecological Sciences (TIES), Kottayam for co-operation in the field of Research, Technology & Transfer and for the collaborative conduct of seminars and workshops.
- Articles of scientific interest are collected and displayed on the department notice board regularly, with a view to inculcate and develop in young minds, a scientific curiosity and reading habit.
- Maintenance of Aquarium in the zoology class rooms.
- Friends of Fauna (FOF) nature club (an extension wing of zoology association), under whose banner Zoology students are taken for Nature Camps.
- Alumna Lecture were conducted ever year